Translate

Friday, May 2, 2014

From the beginning

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009. I received the phone call while I was at George Bush International Airport in Houston, TX waiting for my flight to Miami. I was visiting my daughter Elle. After I hung up from the call, my instincts for survival immediately kicked in. The first thing I did was go to the airport's bookstore and look at whatever books they had on cancer fighting. I found comedian Robert Schimmel's book "Cancer on Five Dollars a Day" and after reading the back cover (like I always do before reading a book) I bought it on the spot and laughed and cried while reading it on the flight.

I spent the next two weeks in Miami with my daughter but I did not disclose to her the diagnosis. I decided to focus on our time together. The only person I shared the diagnosis during those first weeks was my boyfriend at the time. He and my other friends from AA were my life support. I went through chemotherapy, lost my hair, but thankfully the chemo did not syphoned my energies and I continued working and doing my normal life.

I had a mastectomy on May 10, 2010 on my right breast and for me it was of paramount help that my boyfriend helped me by accepting my new body. Like he said: "I don't need two breasts to make love to you". In October of 2010 my daughter moved to Houston, she wanted to spend more time with me given the fact that I had cancer. In December I went to my last radiation treatment and I was placed on Tamoxifen for five years. In January of 2011 my daughter and I were involved in a car accident that although it did not have major health effects it did bring my daughter and I even closer.

I continued working and living and enjoying life. The support I received from my family and friends was invaluable. I enjoyed life to the fullest and then in October 16, 2011 my grandson was born, Leandro Duran. I was present at birth and it was an amazing experience. I admire my daughter so much for her courage. (When I had her I was too scared and I ended up having a C-Section).

Nothing much happened in terms of cancer. I took my medication regularly and the regular mammograms came back ok. Then in December of 2012 my daughter, grandson and I moved to Orlando, Florida so my daughter could start her law school career. When I moved here I brought with me 3 months supply of Tamoxifen since I  knew I would not have health insurance for a while. I ran out of meds in March and did not take them for a month until my insurance kicked in.

(More to follow)

No comments:

Post a Comment